1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Pokémon get a gender neutral character?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon VG' started by unownzone, Sep 2, 2016.

?

Gender neutrality in Pokémon?

1. Yes, more diversity in Pokémon

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No, the franchise will stick to its customs

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Offline

unownzone Classy Pokemon Trainer Staff Member Section Mod Pokémon Trainer

Generation Started:
    1st Generation
    Favorite Pokémon:
    Darkrai, Lucario, Blaziken
    PkmnGO Team:
    (I wanted to post this in the video game section but since the protagonists of Sun and Moon are already confirmed....)

A recently popularized fanmade Pokémon game called Pokémon Uranium had an interesting feature. They let you choose the protagonist between three characters, as opposed to the traditional two. A boy, a girl, and a gender neutral character that can be both seen as a girl or boy.

Do you think it is possible that Game Freak will later let us choose a gender neutral character like in Uranium?
    Game Freak had already let us choose a character from different skin colors. Perhaps in the future, Game Freak will also aknowledge the rising awareness of the LGBT community and give us more options for the protagonist's appearance.

Or maybe you think Game Freak will find it unnecessary to create a gender neutral protagonist. Since Gender roles are very distinct in Japanese culture and society, maybe Game Freak will not consider making a third option for the main character.

What are your thoughts?

(We can also discuss the possibility of having LGBT characters as non-main characters)

As much as I would like to see more diversity in Pokémon, I think it will be difficult to see LGBT or gender neutral characters in Pokémon. There's only one reason for this, and it's because love is not a topic that is focused in Pokémon. The most commonly seen human relationship in Pokémon seems to be friendship and not love, so gender identity will probably not get a chance to be focused on neither in the games or the anime.

Perhaps I'm not thinking too deeply on this topic, but this is the thought I will have for now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2016
  2. Offline

Christmas May Demon Buster Trainee Staff Member Admin Pokémon Trainer Wiki Contributor

Generation Started:
    1st Generation
    Favorite Pokémon:
    Pikachu and Rayquaza
    PkmnGO Team:
    I don't think we will see a neutral character... I think that we will be able to customize it even more but nothing more... maybe in the future but not now :nono:
    and I don't know why they don't add it but... I hope that we will be able to customize the character in everything like in the Sims (with this someone can do the character like he/she wants)

TOPSITES

Pokemon Trainer Topsite PPN Top 50 PokéTerra Topsite