Staff member
Admin
Pokémon Trainer
Generation Started
1st Generation
Favorite Pokémon
Pikachu, Rayquaza and Zeraora
PkmnGO Team
As you guys already know, once a week (or that is what we try to do XD) we open a new thread to talk about a Pokémon. We can talk how we use it in a competitive battle or what we like (or not) about that Pokémon. We can share our experiences with that particular Pokémon: if it helped in some way during your battling or to simply share knowledge about that particular Pokémon.

This week's Pokémon is Gengar!
094.gif

Type:
ghost.gif
poison.gif

Base stats: 60 HP | 65 Atk | 60 Def | 130 Sp. Atk | 75 Sp. Def | 110 Spe
Ability: Cursed Body (Levitate in Gen. III-VI)

gengar-mega[1].gif

Type:
ghost.gif
poison.gif

Base stats: 60 HP | 65 Atk | 80 Def | 170 Sp. Atk | 95 Sp. Def | 130 Spe
Ability: Shadow Tag​

It's nearly Halloween so let's talk about a spooky Pokémon like Gengar! This Pokémon has a high Speed and Special Attack stats so with its Shadow Tag ability can trap opponents and defeat them. Its poor defensive typing prevent it from safely switching in os it can be pray to strong attackers.

poke_ball.png
Doubles
bal2.gif
Moves:

poison.gif
Sludge Bomb
ghost.gif
Shadow Ball
dark.gif
Taunt
normal.gif
Protect
bal2.gif
Item:
Gengarite
bal2.gif
Ability:
Cursed Body
bal2.gif
Nature:
Timid (+Spe -AtK)
bal2.gif
EVs:
4 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe
Mega Gengar should Mega Evolve as soon as it can in in order to start to pressure the opponents with its Shadow Tag Ability.
Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are both STAB moves. The first move has a 30% change to poison the target and is a good move against neutral targets. Shadow Ball can deal damage and has a 20% change to lower the target's Special Defense by one stage so it's good when hitting super effectively and covering switch-ins.
Taunt prevent the foe from using any kind of status move such as Trick Room, Calm Mind, Substitute, etc for three turns.
Protect (Priority +4) shields (Mega) Gengar from any kind of damage against it during the turn it is used, stall for a turn and allow its teammates to setup or switch.
Note that Z-Moves are able to pass through Protect, but only deal 25% of their original damage.

poke_ball.png
VCG17
bal2.gif
Moves:

poison.gif
Sludge Bomb
ghost.gif
Shadow Ball
dark.gif
Taunt
normal.gif
Protect /
fire.gif
Will-O-Wisp
bal2.gif
Item:
Focus Sash
bal2.gif
Ability:
Cursed Body
bal2.gif
Nature:
Timid (+Spe -AtK)
bal2.gif
EVs:
4 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe
VCG17 banned Mega Evolved Pokémon but Gengar's great typing allow it to resist to Fairy-type moves and, on top of that, it is immune to all Normal-type attacks. It's role in the metagame is to provide a fast way to get solid damage on Pokémon like Tapu Koko/Tapu Lele and damage Pokémon like Alolan Ninetales and Arcanine.
It's great Speed allow it to outrun common Pokémon in the metagame like Kartana and Garchomp.
Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are both STAB moves. The first move has a 30% change to poison the target and is a good move against neutral targets. Shadow Ball can deal damage and has a 20% change to lower the target's Special Defense by one stage so it's good when hitting super effectively and covering switch-ins.
Taunt prevent the foe from doing any kind of setup such as Trick Room, Calm Mind, Substitute, etc while Protect shields Gengar from any kind of damage against it (note that it will not fully protect it if the foe use a Z Move), stall for a turn and allow its team to setup or to switch. Protect can be switched for Will-O-Wisp to support the team against physical attackers, the move will burn the target. With this move the foe will lose a set amount of HP every turn and the damage dealt by physical moves will be halved.
Note: Will-O-Wisp will be rendered useless in Misty Terrain, unless the target is a Flying-type or Levitate Pokemon.

094.png
Today for the "did you know?" we have a lot of things XDD
- Gengar is the favorite of Ken Sugimori
- in the beta of Red and Blue, Gengar was originally know as "Phantom"
- in XY, Gengar is the only Pokémon not eligible for Sky Battles (even if it has the Levitate Ability)
- no other Pokémon has the same type combination as Gengar and its evolutionary relatives
- Mega Gengar has the hightest base Special Attack stat of all Ghost-type and Poison-type Pokémon
- Mega Gengar has the hightest base Speed stat of all Ghost-type

And now, let's share our experiences with that particular Pokémon in our games, cool fan artworks (with the source) or anything else!

Diehl

As consistent as a Honda engine
Pokémon Trainer
Generation Started
1st Generation
Favorite Pokémon
Emolga and Zapdos
PkmnGO Team
Oh, I love Gengar! It's so cool and funny! xD

Hikari

Trainer of Light
Pokémon Trainer
Generation Started
5th Generation
Favorite Pokémon
Eevee
PkmnGO Team
I remember doing a report on Ken Sugimori in middle school... lol.

Gengar is a super cool Pokémon with a useful ability, especially when it’s Mega Evolved. I don’t use it much myself, but it’s always a good Pokémon to have in hand.

Pokemon Trainer

Demon Buster Trainee
Thread Owner
Staff member
Admin
Pokémon Trainer
Generation Started
1st Generation
Favorite Pokémon
Pikachu, Rayquaza and Zeraora
PkmnGO Team

Gengar is a super cool Pokémon with a useful ability
It was a useful ability until Gen 6... but in Gen 7 they replaced it with Cursed Body :cry:

Gengar is a super cool Pokémon with a useful ability, especially when it’s Mega Evolved. I don’t use it much myself, but it’s always a good Pokémon to have in hand.
I love its mega evolved form! :wow: That speed and the moves are awesome!
But sorry I will always use Mega Metagross asd

Top Bottom