1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weekly Pkmn Discussion Weekly Pokémon Discussion #2: Aggron (306)

Discussion in 'Competitive' started by Christmas May, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Offline

Christmas May Demon Buster Trainee Staff Member Admin Pokémon Trainer Wiki Contributor

Generation Started:
    1st Generation
    Favorite Pokémon:
    Pikachu and Rayquaza
    PkmnGO Team:
    Since we are a Pokémon community, I thought of opening a weekly thread to talk about a Pokémon. We can talk about the competitive, of what we like about that Pokémon (or not), if we ever used it in the games (so we can share our experiences with that particular Pokémon: it helped in some way during your battling or not) or to simply share knowledge about that particular Pokémon.
    This week's Pokémon is Aggron!
    [​IMG]
    Type: Rock/Steel
    Base stats: 70 HP | 110 Atk | 180 Def | 60 Sp. Atk | 60 Sp. Def | 50 Spe
    Ability: Rock Head or Sturdy | Heavy Metal (HA)

aggron-mega[1].gif
    Type: Steel
    Base stats: 70 HP | 140 Atk | 230 Def | 60 Sp. Atk | 80 Sp. Def | 50 Spe
    Ability: Filter​

Like everyone knows, Aggron was introduced in Gen 3 and with the Gen 6 obtained a Mega Evolution. For sure he is a great tank but there's a lot of better Megas to use (and that's why he isn't used in the World's VCG... ).

If we want to use the best of his tank ability we can go with this moveset:
    Moves: Stealth Rock, Heavy Slam, Avalanche/Thunder Wave and Fire Punch/Earthquake/Rock Slide
    Item: Aggronite
    Ability: Sturdy
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP | 16 Def | 240 Sp. Def
    Let's notice that the only way to recover Mega Aggron is with Rest (plus a Chesto Berry/Lum Berry and with this he can't Mega Evolve) so he is defenseless for a while... it's best to Mega Evolve him as soon as possibile to benefit of his great defence and Stealth Rock. With this the opponent will switch less while Mega Aggron can attack with it's STAB attack: Heavy Slam.
    Avalanche is an Ice type move tha doubles the base power if the user was damaged previously in the same turn so it's really good to use since Mega Aggron is really slow.
    Another good move to use with Stealth Rock is Dragon Tail since the opponent will be forced to switch his Pokémon and take damage thanks to the Stealth Rock.

What about Doubles battles? Well... there's a lot of more interesting Megas to use (Mega Metagross, Mega Mawile...) so I never used him in a competitive battle. Even if he has a good defense I usually choose Mega Metagross since his moveset is much more interesting or Mega Mawile since it's a Steel/Fairy and his Mega form has the ability Huge Power (Doubles Attack).
    Even if I never used him in some competitive battles, he is a great ally in the games. I used him in Sapphire and had a lot of fun with him since he is really a tank even without the IVs/EVs XD but aside from Sapphire I haven't used it in other games since there were other Pokémon that I caught and trained XD
    Oh! And let's say that his design is really good!

And now, let's share our experiences with that particular Pokémon in our games!
  2. Offline

rkirkley82 Trainer Pokémon Trainer

I remember the first time I saw this Pokémon was when I opened a card pack and got this guy years back when the first 3rd gen packs were out lol. Will never forget that moment and he instantly became one of my favorites because I had never seen anything like it. Always use him when I get the chance! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Offline

Keflor Lmn Trainer Pokémon Trainer

Generation Started:
    1st Generation
    Favorite Pokémon:
    Blaziken
    PkmnGO Team:
    Aggron was so cool back when Ruby and Sapphire came. Bulky steel type, that looks awesome. I hope I see him being used more often.
  4. Offline

Shinso Vampire Nagato First Ancestor Staff Member Section Mod Pokémon Trainer

Generation Started:
    3rd Generation
    Favorite Pokémon:
    Gardevoir & Meloetta
    PkmnGO Team:
    Never used a bulky set...I'm always on the offensive so this is usually what I run!
    Nature: Brave (+ Attack, -Speed)
    Ability: Rock Head
    Item: Zoon Lens, Rock Gem
    Moveset: Head Smash, Iron Head, Earthquake, Double-Edge
  5. Offline

Christmas May Demon Buster Trainee Staff Member Admin Pokémon Trainer Wiki Contributor

Generation Started:
    1st Generation
    Favorite Pokémon:
    Pikachu and Rayquaza
    PkmnGO Team:
    Welcome to the community @Keflor Lmn !!
    Maybe in Sun/Moon he will have a new moveset and a good Z-Move :yeahyeah:

Like you, I don't use bulky mons because I like to attack as soon as I can (that's why I prefer to use a Sword Dance/Dragon Dance or something like that and start to attack)

TOPSITES

Pokemon Trainer Topsite PPN Top 50 PokéTerra Topsite