1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weekly Pkmn Discussion Weekly Pokémon Discussion #16: Smeargle

Discussion in 'Competitive' started by May, Apr 27, 2017.

Pokémon World Championship 2017

1. Online

May Demon Buster Trainee Staff Member Admin Pokémon Trainer Wiki Contributor

Generation Started:
    1st Generation
    Favorite Pokémon:
    Pikachu and Rayquaza
    PkmnGO Team:
    As you guys already know, we open once a week (or that is what we try to do XD) a new thread to talk about a Pokémon. We can talk about the competitive, of what we like about that Pokémon (or not), if we ever used it in the games (so we can share our experiences with that particular Pokémon (if it helped in some way during your battling or not) or to simply share knowledge about that particular Pokémon.

This week's Pokémon is Smeargle!
    [​IMG]
    Type: Normal
    Base stats: 55 HP | 20 Atk | 35 Def | 20 Sp. Atk | 45 Sp. Def | 75 Spe
    Ability: Own Tempo or Technician | Moody (HA)
    This painter Pokémon for sure will surprise everyone with it access to nearly every move in the entire game thanks to its signature move: Sketch. You will see it serve as a great support Pokemon but don't expect it to attack since its poor offensive stats allow Smeargle to do to much.

Moves:
    - Sticky Web
    - Stealth Rock
    - Skill Swap
    - Taunt / Memento
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Own Tempo
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Smeargle is a support Pokémon and this moveset is the perfect proof of this.
    Sticky Web is the primary move since it reduces the foe speed by one stage. Stealth Rock will damage the opponent that switches in (and have its Speed reduced thanks to Sticky Web). Skill Swap can be used to swap the ability of the user and the target.
    Taunt is a great move to handle others setters of Stealth Rock and Defog while Memento is a last resort that sacrifice Smeragle and reduce the foe's offensive stats by 2.

Moves:
    - Fake Out
    - Follow Me
    - Spore
    - Spiky Shield
    Ability: Moody
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def / 252 Spe
    This moveset is more useful in 2 vs 2 battles.
    Fake Out will cause the target to flinch (note: can only be used on the user's first turn out) allowing your other Pokémon to deal with one less Pokémon for 1 turn. Follow Me will lure all the foe Pokémon to target only the user so it is a good move to gain more time for the teammate Pokémon. Skill Swap can be used to swap the ability of the user and the target and in a 2 vs 2 battle can be used to steal an ability from your foe and after that pass it to your teammate.
    The last move, Taunt is a great move to handle others setters of Stealth Rock and Defog while Memento is a last resort that sacrifice Smeragle and reduce the foe's offensive stats by 2.

With Sun and Moon, Smeargle "lost" one of the most "annoying" moves: Dark Void. The move will always fail when used by Pokémon other than Darkrai.
    This move was one of the most used in the VCG metagame and at 2014/2016 Worlds Championship.
    Moves:
    - Dark Void
    - Spicky Shield
    - Follow Me
    - Fake Out / Wide Guard
    Ability: Moody
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Def / 252 Spe
    This moveset is more useful in 2 vs 2 battles.
    Dark Void is a move that has an 80% to put the target to sleep so with some luck both foes can be put asleep giving time to the other teammate to attack them or set up.
    Spicky Shield will protect Smeargle and damages foes that target Smeargle with physical attacks. Follow Me will lure all the foe Pokémon to target only the user so it is a good move to gain more time for the teammate Pokémon.
    Wide Guard can protect Smeargle and its allies from multi-target attacks.

Today for the "did you know?" we have a lot of things XDD
    - thanks to its signature move, Sketch, Smeargle can legally posses any move (other than Chatter or Struggle) with this Smeargle is the only one that can have both Outrageand Own tempo making it able to use the move without being confused
    - Smeargle is able to Sketch Hyperspace Fury but the move will always fail when used by Pokémon other than Hoopa Unbound
    - Smeargle is able to Sketch dark Void but the move will always fail when used by Pokémon other than darkrai (this was introduced with Sun and Moon)
    - Smeargle is the only one that can learn the same move more than four times (he will learn Sketch for 10 times as it level up)

I never used Smeargle in the story since in Gold/Silver I wasn't able to sketch some good moves... but I used it in the competitive with ORAS. Sad to say that I lack luck and Dark Void was always a miss or only one Pokémon was put asleep making me always lose the battles XD so I stopped using him and choose other Pokémon that don't require that much luck XDDD

And now, let's share our experiences with that particular Pokémon in our games, cool fan artworks (with the source) or anything else!
    Read the previous Weekly Pokémon Discussions

TOPSITES

Pokemon Trainer Topsite PPN Top 50 PokéTerra Topsite FireChao Topsites